Monday, April 12, 2010

Oh the Things I've Learned...

First of all, let me preface this post with the following: I don't have anything substantive to complain about.
I don't work on Mondays. I have three day weekends every weekend. It is fantastic.
In order to entertain myself and avoid doing the things I should do (study Spanish, research places to work in San Francisco, etc.) I spend my free time reading (in English), cooking, and planning trips.
Today (Monday), I decided to be 'productive' because Sundays in Madrid mean waking up late and going to the park to get some sun for half the day. So....I woke up, went for a run and then proceeded to my favorite Asian grocery store. I stocked up on tofu, ramen, rice, and green tea and then took the Metro home to cook myself some lunch.
Our stove is electric - I loathe electric stoves - but I have adjusted. I have NOT adjusted to the cheap pans that make cooking rice and having it turn out edible almost impossible. I even soak it before I cook it (for at least half an hour) and it still doesn't help.
Today, I have officially given up the 'challenge' of cooking rice in a cheap pan. No more gummy rice, no more scrubbing pans for 10 minutes. I quit!! Cheap pans 1, Me 0. From now on, I'm borrowing my roommate's rice cooker...

2 comments:

  1. no one in asia cooks rice in pans anymore because rice cookers are so effing convenient!
    the cadillac of cookers here is zojirushi - soooo nice. i have been registered for one since before i started planning a wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to buy one for sure. If you get two for your wedding, I call dibs on the extra one!

    ReplyDelete