Friday, June 19, 2015

Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway!


I borrowed the title of this post from a self-help book by Susan Jeffers, Ph. D. As my trip gets closer, I have remembered that I do not enjoy flying over the ocean for long periods of time. In fact, I am usually convinced I will die...but, when I get on the plane, I am fine and I look forward to watching the in-flight movie. 

It's true that the thought of having zero control is fear-inducing. However, I've decided that the thought of me attempting to teach this coming school year without this escape from reality is much scarier...that's because traveling abroad has always helped me re-establish my priorities. 

One of the things I know to be true about myself is that I have a spiritual need to travel. There is no better experience than wandering around in a foreign place...alone or with others...and surviving (even if you can't read or understand a word around you). So many beautiful, memorable things happen along the way...a reminder of the fact that most humans are good, kind, and eager to share their cultures.

Over the next six weeks, I will have the good fortune to return to central Italy, explore Corfu (a Greek island), Croatia, Slovenia and Berlin. I am grateful for the experiences to come. Let the journey begin!  


No comments:

Post a Comment