Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Madrid is Glue and I am Puzzle Pieces

For some reason, I keep forgetting it's 2010. I've only been back in Madrid a week and already January is over. What the heck happens when you graduate from college? It's like life goes from slow motion to 90 miles an hour in about a minute. I miss the slow lane.
Today, a friend was asking what I'm going to do when I get back to the States in July. I have to admit, the answer that came out of my mouth surprised me a bit. Maybe it's the fact that I've yet to arrive at what I'd consider 'real adult' status (paying rent, owning things, having a 401k, having debt) and the relationships I've had (all two of them in college), were far from 'adult.' Nonetheless, the response that came out of my mouth was...drumrolll please "I feel like I'm ready to be an adult." Does that mean I'll refer to myself as a woman instead of a girl - probably not, because most days, I feel more like a girl than a young woman.
Although I love living in Madrid, I can't help but feel that I'm some how delaying reality. To a point, it's a good thing to stave off reality as long as possible, given the state of the U.S. economy and the fact that I'm still not sure where my career path will take me. However, I have arrived at a few very important conclusions while I've been in Madrid, one of which is, I know now what makes me happy. Given the randomness that has been my life since college graduation, that, in itself, is quite an achievement. More on that another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment