Thursday, March 4, 2010

Un Dia Tres Miradas - Ballet Flamenco!

After discovering I had inadvertently missed the Madrid Flamenco Festival, I was a bit bugged and decided to search out some flamenco to make up for it.
Last night, Farren and I went to a show at the Teatro de Madrid. I'm ashamed to say it was the first time I've seen flamenco since I've been here (something like 5 months now...) but better late than never! As always, the performance was amazing and left me feeling like a talentless lump of unathletic cellulite.
If you are sitting there thinking "Fla WHAT??," check out this YouTube video. Flamenco is a mix of Gypsy, Moorish, and Spanish (among others) folk art traditions, history, singing, dancing, etc. although it seems to me everyone argues over its origins...
I love how perfectly it conveys the Spanish flair for all things dramatic. It also reminds me of Ballet Folklorico, which makes me think of home. countless school assemblies, the State Fair, and UNM. By the way, Albuquerque is home to the National Institute of Flamenco, and if you're there in June, go to the International Flamenco Festival. It's back after being cancelled last year and brings in the best dancers from all over the world. The passion and the power of the dancers coupled with Flamenco guitar and singing is just beautiful. I will miss it again this year (I'll still be in Madrid), so someone please go for me!

1 comment: