I will be back in San Jose in less than a month. If I had followed my original plan, I would be seriously looking for jobs right now. Instead, I have decided to delay that depressing slog until I am physically home because my friends at LBSteak are willing to take me back and so is my Aunt Janet! Yipppeee! I have come to many realizations about myself in the past 9 months as I have loads of time to think (LOADS). Most of it I already knew, but it's always good to have a little confirmation. First, it takes very little money to make me happy. Second, I need to travel (half an hour away, a different country, a different state, whatever). Third, my children will be bilingual - it's going to be SO important to be multilingual in the future. Fourth, I have decided to throw traditionalism out the window. I'm taking the creative route to uncovering my destiny (I was told in Fes it was my destiny to buy only one leather jacket instead of two). Real Simple. I like it.
In the past three weeks, I have visited Rome, Fes (Morocco), and London. All extremely interesting places full of mostly wonderful people and places to see. I went to London to visit my friend Caroline, whom I met in Buenos Aires in 2008. Caroline has a wonderful flat in the hippie part of London and took me to one of the best Farmers' Markets I have ever been to - Borough Market. I LOVE Farmers' Markets. There is no other place that contains so many things that make me happy in such a small area. Food. I just love it. Really interesting people are everywhere at Farmers' Markets - just ask any vendor how they got started. Quality products at a good price (most of the time). DIY type men who can not only run a business but grow their own food. Check check check and check.
Before I went to London, I read this inspiring article about college grads who are making the best of the not so hot job market by becoming successful food entrepreneurs. After reading the article, I got so excited that I told my friend Kate (who has also been in Spain teaching English and is equally obsessed with experiencing culture through food) that we should open a stand at a Farmers' Market in the Bay Area to keep our spirits up while we're looking for full-time gigs. Of course, being a vendor would be a full-time deal in itself, but, with patience, hard work, and most of all, luck, it'd be lots of fun, a great way to meet people and expand our networks. Now all we need are some good product ideas. Any suggestions?
Hi Rachel,
ReplyDeleteI can so relate to where you are - about twenty years ago! After my first "real job" out of college, I took over a year off to travel and find what it was that I really wanted to do, what would make me happy (money did not matter to me). After months of traveling to wonderful and exotic places on a shoestring, I found myself spending months in Thailand. I spent weeks on one particular beach on one particular island, frankly not doing much of anything besides journaling and just enjoying life. I really discovered that there were a number of skills that I liked to use and could apply to a few of my passions; food was one of mine too, but bicycyling and the outdoors were up there as well. When I returned, I continued living off of a shoestring and began volunteering with organizations that fed my passions. In short, one of my volunteer positions led to a career at a company that I held for over 13 years and despite starting out making a minimal hourly wage it proved to be very lucrative for me in the end (hey, I bought my own house!). Every day for 13 years I truly loved going to work. It was a life shaping experience. The only reason I left is because my son Miles arrived too early and spent months in intensive care. My point is, follow your passion - it will lead you to happy places and bolster you in ways only you will know!
On a separate note, Dean, the boys and I just returned from a fabulous week on Salt Spring Island in the Canadian Gulf Islands. SSI has a well renowned farmers market. Also, it is a reasonably small island and has over 200 working farms on it and numerous artist studios. Here are a couple of ideas for your spot at the farmers market (direct from SSI).
1) gluten-free stall of just about anything
2)wonderful cookies that you sell by the piece, and tubs of the dough
3)tarts, both savory and sweet
4)various combinations of spices to compose a recipe (see www.monsooncoast.com) - I bought the Butter Chicken Gift Box after sampling it in their booth
Ok - there you go! You go girl!
Cousinly yours,
lisa
Lisa - nice summary! I always remember you taking off and traveling at such a young age (I thought at the time that it was really young and now it IS really young!) and by yourself. I admired you so much for doing it! And it served you well.
ReplyDeleteAuntily yours, Anne
Thank you Lisa! It is really comforting to hear about your experiences...I'm starting to freak out a bit about my prospects when I get home. I'll be in touch when I settle back down and really start to figure out ideas.
ReplyDelete