Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Upside of Negative Population Growth

To celebrate Immaculate Conception Day, I went to Milan to visit my cousin Allie. Allie is doing things the way I wish I had done them when I graduated from college - she's taking cooking and Italian classes and fine tuning the "art of doing nothing." Lucky for her, she just got a job (in Milan), so she'll be staying there as long as she can put up with Italian men staring at her intensely every other block (she's blond).
Besides Allie's new job, the best news to come out of my trip to Milan is that thanks to Italy's negative population growth, I can get Italian citizenship! My paternal grandfather hails from Sicily (HQ of the mafia/largest island in the Mediterranean), so with the right paperwork and lots of luck, I will someday have a European Union passport! With an EU passport, I'd be able to work/live anywhere in Europe without worrying about visas, etc. The process will probably take about a year or so, but I'll definitely be on the first plane to Cuba when my EU passport arrives!

No comments:

Post a Comment